Hello everyone! I’m back in your inbox this morning with the most important events happening in and around Oceanside-Camp Pendleton. Let’s do it…
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout your big announcement at the top of the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate at your side! Submit your ad here.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Partial sunshine. High: 79 Low: 69.
📢 The Oceanside Chamber will hold its 14th Annual North County Health and Wellness Fair on August 11 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The North County Health Fair is free to the public and is a great way to receive information, meet a new health specialist, or learn more. on healthy living. Located in the beautiful Oceanside Civic Center Plaza, the North County Health Fair will run concurrently with the Thursday Farmer’s Market. More information
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to start.
Here are today’s top five stories at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Local racer and O’side Turkey Trot founder Kathy Kinane really wants people to move their feet. Kinane started the Oceanside Trotters in Training to create a casual atmosphere to introduce running as a way to improve mental and physical health, socialize, and learn to run a 5k race. Each workout involves winding your way through the relatively flat city streets to the harbor or The Strand, both showcasing the views and sunsets from nearby beaches. The group is free and meets at 5:30 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday near the fountain in the Oceanside Civic Center. The group is made up of runners, walkers and joggers and everyone is welcome. (news from the coast)
- The Oceanside Fire Department opened its new four-story training tower last week, with funding from Measure X. The tower will help firefighters practice the skills needed to protect the six- to seven-story buildings that stand in downtown Oceanside, department officials said. The building features three insulated fireboxes of varying sizes and configurations on the first and second floors, where firefighters can tackle live fire reaching up to 2,000 degrees. (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Local elected officials and community leaders honored longtime political and equal rights leader Leon L. Williams with special awards Saturday to help celebrate his 100th birthday. Williams received a Life Achievement Award from the county. Williams was elected San Diego’s first black alderman in 1969 and first black county supervisor in 1982. (Press Release Desk)
- ‘Purple Hearts,’ a Netflix original film released on Friday, was partially filmed at Camp Pendleton and other locations in Oceanside and around California. The 122-minute film tells the story of Cassie Salazar and Luke Morrow, opposites paired up in a fake marriage of convenience. “But when tragedy strikes,” assures IMDb’s promotional blurb, “the line between real and fake begins to blur.” (stars and stripes)
- The average price of a gallon of regular self-serve gasoline in San Diego County fell Wednesday for the 49th straight day since hitting a record low, falling 1.7 cents to $5.537, its lowest since March 8. The average price has fallen 83.6 cents since hitting a record high of $6.373 on June 15, including 1.4 cents on Tuesday, according to figures from the AAA and the Oil Market Information Service. price. The average price is 11 cents lower than a week ago and 67.8 cents lower than a month ago, but $1.189 higher than a year ago. The average in Oceanside has fallen further with prices as low as $5.05 a gallon, according to GasBuddy. (San Diego crest)
Today at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Ed Harrington – North County Veterans Association (11am)
From my notebook:
- Oceanside Police Department: “National night out with our community. Enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces and making new friends. Thank you all for joining us! If we missed you, come see us in Kona with the cops on Tuesday August 30 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. ” (Oceanside Police Department via Facebook)
- Oceanside Historical Society: Orders for the new book “The Oceanside Story” have increased so much that we have less than 400 books at this point. Get yours today! You can purchase this latest book at the Oceanside Historical Society office at 305 North Nevada Street.” (Oceanside Historical Society via Facebook)
- City of Oceanside – Government: “Looking for something magical✨ to do today? The Oceanside City Public Library is here for you! #Oceanside” (Town of Oceanside – Government via Facebook)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton: “Swim under the stars and watch a movie! Join us for Summer Nights at 13 Area Pool on August 11 from 7-10 p.m. For more information, visit: mccsCP.com/aquatics” (MCCS Camp Pendleton via Instagram)
- Oceanside Chamber of Commerce: On Friday, July 29, the House of Representatives passed the Wildfire Response and Drought Resiliency Act, which includes several pieces of legislation Rep. Mike Levin (D-CA) is leading to support desalination projects. (Oceanside Chamber of Commerce via Facebook)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton: “Save the date! Wednesday, August 24 from 4-6:30 p.m. at LINKS House Bldg. 202860 will be a MilSpouse Education & Healthcare hiring event. Register for this in-person hiring event today. (MCCS Camp Pendleton via Facebook)
- Next door neighbor, Jeffries Ranch: “For those who haven’t watched ‘Purple Hearts’ on Netflix, this is awesome! Lots of Oceanside and Camp Pendleton scenery! (The next door)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Oceanside Adventures – Daily Year Round Whale & Dolphin Excursions — (Visit the website)
- Institute of Healthcare – Become an EMT in just 4-8 weeks — (Visit the website)
Colorful Ocean Skies: Photo of the Day by the Ocean
- Children’s Arts and Crafts Day on the Farm (August 5)
- Nerd Comedy Night (August 5)
- One Day Farm Camp for Kids ($20 off coupon code) (August 6)
- Award-winning Stacy Antonel Country + Fast Heart Mart Blue Grass + Rip Carson Rockabilly (August 6)
- Frankie Vallie & the Four Seasons Tribute Concert with December ’63 (August 6)
- Pacific View Charter School Open House (August 9)
- Add your event
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow with your next update!
— Lisa Frost
About me: I’m the community editor for the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton patch and love sharing all things Oceanside. It’s a privilege to help locals and those who visit our amazing and diverse city stay informed about the local news, people and stories that shape our community. Explore all that Patch has to offer Oceansider:
Questions? Concerns? Comments? You have my full attention at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily? Contact me at email@example.com